So a few Sundays ago, Pastor JLau preached on Ephesians 6:1-4:
"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 'Honor your father and mother'—which is the first commandment with a promise— 'that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.' Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."
However, I think the general theme of the sermon focused on relationships with family -- between spouses and between parent and child. He used this illustration where he had these kabob sticks and he demonstrated that even with 4 to 5, you can see break them in the right spots. Then he added another element to them -- a giant ole rolling pin -- which represented Jesus, and of course, when he tried to break the 5 kabob sticks that was now bundled to the rolling pin, they didn't break.
So I started this post a few weeks ago, actually right after the sermon, but then I left it in the draft folder. Now I have more to add. :) So this past Monday, I had the pleasure of joining the first year Bible study and Trevor did this song called "Word of God Speak" by MercyMe. I didn't really know that song and I can't say I really like it. But it's been stuck in my head every since (and I like it better now). (Along with the first couple lines of "Every Morning" by Sugar Ray. Do NOT ask me why -- I have no idea)
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak
I think it spoke to me cause I think too often we are caught up with the things we do in life... work, families, people, friends, wedding planning... and even each other (in terms of dating/engaged people). A permanent best friend, a life partner, a husband - a wife, is all great but without God in the midst of that relationship, we are still twigs that will snap in the wind without their rooted tree. We need to go to Him first, we need to go to Him often. I know I don't do that enough and sometimes it's so hard to be consistent, especially when life is dandy.
The song reminds me that we need to take time to listen, to invest in what's important -- because this is the foundation we want for our relationship, our marriage, our family. I can talk about all the decorations we will do or what a great deal I got on my dress, but our wedding day will come, and it will also pass. I don't want it to be a one day celebration that I've labored months over, but the beginning of a marriage built on solid rock.
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand." ~ Matthew 7:24-26

every morning theres a halo hanging something something four post bed haha
ReplyDelete