Sand is a new trend, but also... it won't blow out outdoors! Which is the main reason I thought of it. It's symbolic in that... once it's mixed, it's pretty hard to separate the grains of sand... your lives are intertwined forever!! Not the same as sharing a flame, but... there could be a breeze!
I think Tim wants to do candles. He said something about it traditionally symbolizes two spirits becoming one. Understandable. And I suppose if you were reeeeally determined to separate sand you could, but you can't separate a flame! But have I mentioned possible wind or a strong breeze? I'm just a cautious one, okay?
But with some online research, I found this!
(Source)
Apparently it's for outdoor weddings and they keep the wind off. Trruuuee. We can look into those... but I can't say I LOVE how those glass things envelope the candles. And it looks real 80's, dontchathink? And maybe kind of ugly? If you look carefully, the two separate candles are taller than the vase! And how are you suppose to lift them up to light the big one?! Hmmm... I guess this will be another thing I kinda put off when we have to deal with it :-P
Heidi is doing communion instead of the unity candle, which could also be another idea. Though while communion is fantastic, I'm not too keen on that idea.
Do you think it makes a difference whether it's sand or candles as long as it's symbolic? Or does tradition (candles) carry more weight with you? Have you looked for alternative methods to do certain projects?
i vote for the sand... well that's what i want for mines like many many years from now LOL and its something you can keep whereas the candle dies out.. yeah just my opinion haha
ReplyDeleteif you have sand, there's no way i can burn down your venue... =P i think tim might feel better about that.
ReplyDeleteWe didn't do either. I hope Tim doesn't think that invalidates our marriage.
ReplyDeleteThe people who operate the place we got married advised against candles too, because a blown-out unity candle is sad.
You could use a lantern of some sort (think of an eternal flame)
- from John, not Ashley