Monday, February 1, 2010

sharing is caring

Loved, loved, loved this article!  It's so sweet.  It's about a couple in West Philly who have been married for 80 years  :)  Read about a celebration of 80 years of marriage!

My favorite part:
        "Nothing, they both said, is more important than prayer, love and unity. That, and a little kissing on the sofa, when the children aren't around. "She'd sit in my lap, sit right here and kiss and go on," he said.

"Love, love, love each other," she added. "It's beautiful, beautiful to be old and still be in love at our age."

---------- + ----- -- + -- ----- + ----------


This next bit is from Emily Richards... formerly known as Emily Chapman, Steven Curtis Chapman's daughter.  :)  She and her husband Tanner are living in Ireland while attending seminary.  This bit of her latest blog post spoke to my own heart about hospitality and loving people:

"Perhaps hospitality is a lost art and much-needed ministry in our American culture. We are quite individually minded, and while this isn’t always a bad thing, perhaps we tend to focus on our own need while we let the needs of those around us go unseen. There is such beauty in an open house. And while the kitchen, shower and bed are nice it is perhaps the open hearts that are the most encouraging. Last week, Tanner and I were welcomed into a home just as family would be at Christmas time. I felt entirely favoured as I laid my head to sleep, realizing I was in the middle of Scotland, having just enjoyed a culinary masterpiece of a home cooked meal and was inspired by fellowship with brothers and sisters in Christ. And might I add, the Scottish accent is wonderfully endearing! The ministry of hospitality . . . Tanner and I certainly endeavour to create a warm and inviting home. It is our prayer that we never become so caught up in our little sphere that we forget the souls perhaps living next door that simply need to be invited in for a cup of hot tea and a good chat."

You can read the rest of the post here.  I am definitely excited to start a life, a family, and a home with Tim, but that those things aren't just for us to enjoy (even though we hopefully will in the process!), but ultimately for the glory of God, and for the love of others.
 
---------- + ----- -- + -- ----- + ----------
 
 
Catching up on the news, I've also read a few articles on the search efforts in Haiti today.  It's been easy to sometime tune out what is going on on the other side of the world, especially when you're not personally affected or invested.  There are many unsung heroes who receive their 5 minutes of appreciation and acknowledge in a CNN article, while there are many more who are working to save lives, provide hope, and bring families closure without so much as any acknowledgement.  Remember to continue to pray for Haiti.  I know I have forgotten to... once it's not on every news channel or every headline, it begins to slip out of our minds.
          

1 comment: