(Source)
I've always known I wanted to change my name afer I got married. I like having the same name as my husband and especially as a family when there are little kiddies. (And I've decided to move my maiden name to my middle name, since I've never had one! So it's like... best of both worlds. :oP) But I never imagined it'd be so annoying. >_< There are so many forms! I've been in a weird spot since we got married in California and then jetted off to New York and now reside in Massachusettes. I tried ordering serveral copies of our marriage certificate through snail mail so I could begin to contemplate how I wanted to go about this but then I somehow missed the part (or it was unclear to me or I just can't read) that a mailed in request was required to be notarized! Turns out I'll be going home for a short visit so I will go get copies of our marriage certificate in person, which in theory should be less painful. :]
I want to keep my California driver's license but I know you're suppose to convert to the state you're currently living in. My reasoning is that we will someday move back to the great state of California. :]
So while I contemplate what I should do, let me share two great (aka "free") resources for this seemingly complicated ordeal.
1) Most brides have probably heard of MissNowMrs.com. They charge $29.99 for their services. You fill out your information in one form and they project all that info onto the forms you'll need for the various agencies you'd need to change your name with (driver's license, passport, social security, etc.)
TIP: If you sign up for an account on Weddingwire.com and after the wedding write five (5) vendor reviews, they gift you with some sort of certificate (I chose a $5 giftcard from Amazon) and a gift card to MissNowMrs.com (valued at $29.99)*. I thought free and free was a pretty good deal. :] Otherwise, from some reviews I've read, it's not really worth the $29.99 -- if you know how to read and mail in forms.
* This deal was true as of Summer 2010 but their offerings may have changed.
2) The Free Name Change Guide. The fact that "free" is in the title should make it a winner! I found this site on Google. The main page lets you pick the state you want to change your name in and then it provides a checklist and all the forms required. You have to read (!) and click through some stuff but it seems pretty straightforward. I think it's a great resource if you don't want to bother writing the 5 reviews for WeddingWire. :-P
I will probably feel much better after I'm all done with this. It's been the one annnnnooying wedding related thing that I haven't done. (Ok except the thank you cards, which I'm 98% done with.) They should just provide a box you can check on your marriage certificate that'll do all this for you. :-P

yes, please move back so i can meet you in person and force you to watch anime someday! haha.
ReplyDeleteim actually going to try going to the social security office in civic center today! (im scared, that station is sketch!) I'm not looking forward to this name change process at allllll. but i am looking forward to sharing a name :)
best of luck with your legal processes!
Oh man, I'm so dreading the name change! So far I've only changed it on my email and on our marriage license...I hear the social security offices are always crowded and a pain!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree, there should just be a box to check and be done with it!
I was just going to ask you what you got from WeddingWire for doing the 5 reviews! We just got our partially-free canvas print from CanvasOnDemand.com yesterday with our discount from WeddingWire. And I hope that MissNowMrs.com discount doesn't expire since I probably won't put it to use until closer to moving back to CA...
ReplyDelete